"Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community." - Sherman Alexie

Friday, December 10, 2010

A Woman Of Color

This will be my last blog post for the semester so I'm going to make it short, sweet, and good!

This class has really been interesting and enlightening for me. I enjoyed the books, poems, videos, and discussions about every type of culture. I think reading the Intuitionist last was a really good idea because I think it ties everything up that we've been learning and talking about in the class.

I will just post part of my DB post about being A Woman of Color that I did this week. I loved the ending up the book and how you realize Watson's biggest issue is she has no idea about her own race issues within the city and we learn them with her. I have enjoyed reading the book for the third time and maybe not the last. I hope everyone was able to take something from each subject we read. Have a great holiday break and next semester! :)

Explanation of what it means to be a Colored Girl to me:

"I would have to say that I did like Freeport’s character a lot and I can see why Watson was able to open up to him. He seemed to not have a motive and was equally happy with the connection they have formed but ironically he had issues as well and that had to do with the color of his skin. He wanted to blend in with the “white world” and I can completely understand that at a time like that. Today as a woman of color no longer feels the need to blend in as a white person but I would be lying if I say that hasn’t crossed my mind when I was younger. Growing up seeing white people on T.V and in so much power kind of made me think about what it would be like if I was white. I also remember going to the store to pick out dolls and all of the other white dolls were really pretty and had amazing clothes. The colored dolls looked fake and cheap. My mom always wanted to stress how special I was because I was of color. I remember for my 10th birthday my mom bought me a specialty made doll named, Christina. It was $100 and when I saw the doll it made me cry because she was beautiful. She was the size of a real baby and her hair was long and beautiful just like mines. That doll meant so much to me because I could actually relate myself to it. I still have her and plan to pass it to my nieces when they’re older. So I can certainly understand conforming to being a white person but I’m so happy my mother always stressed that no one is better than the next and you’re special just the way you are. I smile now because I know for a fact this is true and I’m grateful to be a individual. "

3 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I can identify with the story about the doll. I loved your story. I can remember when Cabbage Patch, and Baby Alive first came out. I had gotten a blonde haired, blue eyed baby doll for Christmas when I was 6.



    It wasnt the first white dolly that I had gotten so I had become accustomed to only seeing those type of dolls, never the less she was my favorite and I loved her. I used to tell her that she was adopted.



    A few months later, I was in Montgomery Wards with my mom and I saw my first black doll. We lived in Anchorage at the time, my father was military. I was used to seeing people of all ethnicities, but a doll, too much. I had to have her. Mommy can I get that new barbie, she looks like you, mommy, she has big hair and a fist comb....she fell out laughing. Christmas rolled around, mommy must have told Santa, cause I got her, and her fist comb. She became the new favorite, just cause she was more like me, than that baby alive doll I had come to love.



    I am so grateful as well for my rich heritage. I saw that doll in TJ Maxx the other day, I just about lost my mind, reminiscing there for a second. It brought back the pride I felt in identifying with something that looked like me.Pride I felt in being black, even as a kid. I thought this book was very interesting, a shame Lila Mae couldnt feel the empowerment in the small things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's all about identifying with the something. I must say being able to see a doll that looked just like me and wasn't cheap was a great feeling. I do feel pity for Lila Mae that she couldn't be empowered by the small things...you're so right. I guess when you're stuck being one way for so long thats the way it's going to be for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara and Liz, seeing yourself in the dolls you play with is no small thing. I'm glad you were able to find a way to post these stories.

    ReplyDelete