"Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community." - Sherman Alexie

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Precious

In reading Push and watching Precious for the second time, I couldn't help but wonder how I would feel if I were in that situation. What would I have done if I were Precious? How would I have reacted if I were Ms. Rain? I would like to think if I had been Precious I would have spoken up, that someone would have somehow detected my cries for help. I can't imagine what it would be like to suffer through that life every day.

As an aspiring teacher, I have to consider the possibility that there will be students making those cries for help. How will I hear them? I've already learned many things in this class and have gotten several ideas of things I would like to implement in my classroom. One of my main ideas came from Ms. Rain. I want to have my students journal daily and I will respond to them.

I think the best way to connect to students, especially high school students, is through writing. They are at a stage of rebellion. They don't want to talk about their problems, they don't care about many things, they think they are invincible, but if you can get them to open up through writing you might be able to reach out to them if they need help with something. Maybe they are simply sick of school, or maybe they have problems going on at home that are affecting their abilities at school.

One thing I have learned is you never know what could be going on with a student at home.

So, for those of you who plan to be teachers, or for anyone who has any ideas to share, what do you plan to do in your classroom to try and reach out to students?

Also, if you suspected abuse or some other danger in the student's life, how would you react?

What ideas have you gotten from this class that you plan to incorporate into your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the English for Secondary Teachers program. I think one of the most important things is to make yourself approachable. I want them to view me as a friend, and then maybe they will feel more comfortable, like they can open up to me.

    Journaling is a good idea, and I may decide to implement something like that myself, but maybe I'd take them up once a week and write back on the past week's entries. I don't know. :)

    I hope I'll learn more about what to do in situations like this in the Educational Psychology course I'll be taking over the Winter term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you be "friends" with your students?

    ReplyDelete