"Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community." - Sherman Alexie

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Intuitionist

The last book of the semester and it has really been a semester for me and I'm sure it has been for you, too! I read this book a year ago for fun and then turned around and had to read it for another English class a couple months later...now I reread it for this class because I had forgotten so much and wanted to re jog my memory.

There is no thought that this book is filled with many issues about race, class, feminist issues, and rank inside the job world. The setting is when African-Americans are called "colored" and integration is being talked about.

When I first read this book the number one question that came to mind is: If I were, Watson, how would I handle the situation she's facing?

Are there still jobs without women? If so, why?

We has women know there are still plenty of jobs that women aren't able to work and some jobs that are in the United States that are still considered "men" jobs. I don't have to even take the time out and defend the fact that women can do anything a man can do...it's been proven. I just know that yes, we have progressed a lot from the time of the book but just how much. It's scary to think about how Watson had to deal with being black and in a all male job as a woman. I think her character is really powerful.

4 comments:

  1. this is good site 03147891418
    i like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    I would agree that Lila Mae's character was very powerful, just she wasn't aware herself of her own power.I thought about your question, "If I were Watson, how would I handle the situation she's facing?" I thought to myself that the answer itself would depend on the time that I lived in.
    Issues of race exist and especially in that time it is unfortunate that Lila Mae didn't reverse the situation that she was in for her own advantage...


    I have found this novel very interesting. I think I will read it again for more clarity though. A lot of the topics and vernacular are very unfamiliar to me and I don't like to feel like I've been blindsided. I do think that Whitehead is a literal genius.



    Black women have always been a strong force in this America. However, to be black and live in the era Lila Mae did would have taken a different type of strength. Being in her position to create change would have at times been overwhelming, just as it was for Lila Mae.



    I felt as though her character was the opposite of what she should have been. In her position she should have been empowered, to be the only black female in her community. Never mind the accomplishment for the stride she was making being black,but it was of so much importance for her to see HERSELF as a woman, accomplishing this feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think her biggest problem that she didn't realize how much power she had within herself. To be that accomplished a certain pride goes with it but her pride in a lot of ways out shined her being empowered and it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm....maybe. I think perhaps that she over-estimated her powers to control her "self," to make herself into a thing that wouldn't react to hurt and that would fill those stiff suits she wore as if they fit well and do the job and become the "perfect" elevator operator. When she moves to the black section of town (where no one will find her) she immediately feels more at ease. She doesn't really know herself as well as she thinks she does....I think you need to did into her character a little more.

    ReplyDelete