"Life is a constant struggle between being an individual and being a member of the community." - Sherman Alexie

Monday, November 1, 2010

Push by Sapphire

I first read Push the novel last fall just for my general reading. It had been out since 1996 but was just getting attention from the Hollywood world and also the literature world. I've read a lot of different books in my time but I must say Push is a very hard read. It's not just hard because of the graphic nature or the horrible things that happens to the main character, Precious it's also because of the way it was written. It was written just as how the narrator talks and also her educationally level she is, illiterate.

The fact that she is illiterate might seem unimportant to others and also none phasing but it is. I've never had a harder time reading a book as I did with Push. The book is only 192 pages but it seems triple the size of that when you are reading it through the eyes of someone who can't read or write, and her life seems to be ever more difficult than her mission to achieve her education. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read and also to the people who don't like to read. It's inspiring and at the same time chilling to read.

It took me about a day and a half to successfully read the book with understanding and it left me feeling all sorts of different emotions. This book covers every aspect of life including rape, child birth, obesity, illiteracy, child abuse, abandonment, hope, inspiration, and lastly love. This book is worth the read but defiantly want be an easy read, I encourage you all to breathe and expect it to be semi rough in the middle but the final outcome will be awesome.

P.S. The book, in my opinion, is totally different from the movie and much better!

Liz W-

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I first read it last year, while donating plasma at the blood bank. I thought it was a very interesting read. The story intrigued me because it was written based on Sapphire's actual life events. I thought that the way it was written was what made it so interesting. I didnt find it to be a hard read, I like books written in the characters diologue, it makes it alot easier to understand their culture and point of view. There were a couple of key events that I could identify with. As with all books, the movie tends to be alot different, but I liked the movie just the same. Overall, everyone should read this story, it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with that statement Liz. I do like how it adds to Precious's character however I found myself several times having to re-read certain sentences trying to see if I understood what I just read. I did feel this was a major characteristic of the main character and had to be displayed in a way the reader feels like Precious, illiterate. By it being hard to read the person reading it can relate to her. I did nto know it was based on her real life events. I did not think that was the case since she classed it as fiction. If it is based on her actual life that makes the story much more depressing in nature. I could not stop reading it and felt so bad for her. It was definately a book that spoke the reader and allowed for you to really feel this was a real story and these were real people and real events.

    - Cassa Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is a sobering reminder that life is tough and hardship is real. Reading the book I felt helpless at times, wanting so badly to know that I could help. There is so much tragedy in our world, so much pain, so much suffering, and at times it just can make me feel helpless to make a difference. The character Precious is a stark contrast to the tragedy she is in. The darkness around her is contrasted by the light of her will to fight, to learn, and to love. The book is moving and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I don't get tripped up by dialogue as much as other people do, because Push was a pretty easy read for me. I really like descriptions of characters and dialogue that I can "hear" when I read. I feel like the way Precious talks really helps the reader visualize her; someone on Blackboard noted earlier this week that it was as if Precious was sitting right next you. You noted that "The book is only 192 pages but it seems triple the size of that when you are reading it through the eyes of someone who can't read or write, and her life seems to be ever more difficult than her mission to achieve her education." Very well said-- I take for granted that the dialogue and the short length of the novel was an easy read for me... I hadn't tried looking at it from Precious's point of view and thinking about how difficult it must be. Thank you for pointing that out-- excellent point.

    ReplyDelete